Waves: West LA
Every Saturday -
• 10am-11.30am (doors close 10.20am)
Last Class of the year is 22 December
Class will resume 5 January
Soho Dance LA 1618 Cotner Avenue, Los Angeles, 90025
Kate and Tim are teaching a class with an inspired community of dancing explorers. The class is a tool for self-exploration- a place to let go of the baggage, and responsibility of our daily lives, a place to be vulnerable and leave our masks at the door. It is a place of adventure, sweat, trance, intimacy, discipline, passion, presence and tears.It is a safely held space that allows us to recycle any stuff that has been lurking and sticking to the back seat of our body, heart, mind, and soul. Creating bridges into your inner and outer world, whilst co-creating a sense of community and friendships.
Some weeks Kate may teach alone, other weeks, Tim may teach alone, often we will teach together. We each bring other flavors to the banquet. Our styles are different but complimentary.
When we go to a club or even a party usually the DJ plays one genre of music. In our classes we DJ across all genres. We may dance a techno groove, followed by a classical waltz followed by a Tuvan throat singing aperitif. Our carefully chosen music is a prescription to seduce our minds to let go, to let go so that we can discover what stories the body needs to tell, the shoulders, the knees, the armpits, the feet. We learn to re-discover the magic of this unique body we have for this lifetime and how it needs to express itself. There are no steps to learn and every body, shape, and age group over 13 is welcome. Anyone can learn to surrender to the dance magic of their own body. It can take up to 10 classes to begin to see the potential of this map. We are passionate about dance’s capacity as a self-empowering tool to reconnect us to our vitality and lust for life.
Single class $25
Soho Dance LA is located in the Louise Green Millinery co. building located at 1618 Cotner Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90025. The streets East of Sepulveda do have parking that isn’t time limited, otherwise please mind the signs and meters.Some street parking is available and please arrive early to allow time to find parking, as spaces fill up right before classes begin.
Please understand this is a practice - we recommend at least 4 classes before you will have an inkling of the scope of the map. We have "practiced" this work for 25 years and are still in the landscape of discovery. Each class is uniquely different, some days we may fly blissfully into trance states on others we may wade through the molasses of our human condition. The practice - is to embody all of it.
• Doors close 20mins after start of each class to create a safe held container.
• Pre-Payment through Eventbrite, cash and check only at Yoga Desa.
• Payment accepted with cash and check only for Soho Dance.
• No children under 13 in the classrooms or to be left unattended in the foyer.
• Newcomers are always welcome.
• Please enter the space in silence.
• No phones, shazam, or recording devices. Please turn off all notifications and ringers.
• Please wear loose comfortable clothes and layers are recommended.
• Please wear a soft shoe or barefoot - no socks on the dance floor.
• Please bring a bottle of water.
• Please refrain from wearing heavy perfumes or jewelry.
• No gum
• This is a drug and alcohol free space
• Each person is responsible for their own well-being and body during the entire class. Pace yourself.
• Please follow the instructions of the teachers as you might do with a yoga teacher.
• If you are new to this class it is natural to feel nervous. When we ask you to take partner please do and know that we are here to develop boundary skills as much as freedom skills. Take your own authority as to what feels appropriate with each partner.
•This is a deep, transformational class. On leaving, please be sure to have fully returned to your body before driving.